The Corey Diamond Memorial Fund was created to support the local community by providing grants and funding for programs that exemplify and reflect the passions of Corey’s young life.
The fund exists to promote and support music, arts and community service programs initially in and around the Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove area.
The programs that the fund will be sponsoring, will be those that support or promote activities that Corey was very involved in or enjoyed. Because of his love of music and playing trumpet in the bands, supporting that is a key focus. In addition, because Corey spent a great deal of time at Buffalo Creek fishing with his dad and working on his Eagle project there, it too is a primary focus of the fund as well.
In the past year the FUND has:
- Provided funding for the purchase of new state of the artrisers for the BGHS Choral Department replacing the antiquated 16 year old risers.
- The fund provided monetary support for a community soup kitchen for the homeless to cover expenses for the food and materials at a church in Waukegan as part of Boy Scout Troop 140’s community service programs.
- Purchased plants and shrubs for an Eagle Project at Buffalo Creek.
- 2 scholarships for selected music students from Holmes Middle School to Illinois State Music Camp. It has been proven that students that participate in music programs are better and more well rounded students and have a higher percentage of success and achievement than those students not in a music program.
- Made donations to the Buffalo Grove High School Instrumental Association and Choral Guild
- Purchased and supplied food for community meals sponsored by Boy Scout Troop 140.
The fund plans to continue to support the programs listed above and also some of the following:
- The purchase of new common use band instruments at the middle schools and high school either as replacements or for new common instruments that the schools could not afford to acquire without assistance.
- To provide monetary funding assistance of scholarships for select graduating band students that have shown the same level of enthusiasm and leadership within the Buffalo Grove High School Bands as Corey did.
- The fund plans to provide funding for various environmental programs at Buffalo Creek, a park in the Lake County Forest Preserve District and Buffalo Grove Park District. Some of the programs may include:
- Prairie restoration projects within the park
- Convenience benches within the park for use by visitors
- Other projects as deemed appropriate
- Boy Scout Troop 140 community and environmental programs as needed or appropriate or other programs within the community that reflect Corey’s interests and personality.
Future programs will be considered and reviewed by the fund’s Board of Trustees for inclusion. Requests for funding may be submitted to the Board for review by sending an email with a description of the program and how it relates to the intent of the fund, to [email protected].